Ron DeSantis Ratchets Up His Slash and Burn Campaign
A slew of news reports are making one thing clear: Ron DeSantis is running a slash-and-burn, Trumpian campaign for governor. Instead of softening the hyper-partisanship that has made him a Fox News favorite, Ron DeSantis is ratcheting up the rhetoric on the campaign trail. And the results are ugly.
Yesterday, the Tampa Bay Times reported that at an event on Saturday in Citrus County, DeSantis was railing against the state's Supreme Court when a DeSantis supporter shouted "I have a tree and a rope in my backyard." Then, another supporter yelled "bring back the hanging tree." DeSantis said nothing — and his campaign later appeared to defend the remark.
Sound more like Breitbart than a future governor of Florida? Breitbart likes that. Rebekah Mercer — one of the site's owners — cut a $25,000 check for DeSantis a few days ago. The site has also emerged as one of DeSantis' nastiest attack dogs, publishing multiple articles attacking Adam Putnam and defending DeSantis' conservative credentials.
It's now clear that DeSantis intends to run a campaign where he defends the President on cable television — and courts the most fringe voters back home in Florida.
Check out Ron DeSantis' slash and burn campaign — and the increasingly vicious rhetoric he and his surrogates are using against Adam Putnam:
The Breitbard Brigate Is Propping Up DeSantis
Tampa Bay Times: Rebekah Mercer strokes a check to Ron DeSantis
- Well, Rebekah Mercer last week wrote a $25,000 check to DeSantis, political committee. It's a drop for the bucket for the highly influential conservative activist and daughter of hedge fund billionaire Robert Mercer, but it does indicate her commitment to the Palm Coast conservative.
DeSantis Is Proving He's Just as Crazy on the Campaign Trail as He Is on Fox News
Tampa Bay Times: Bring back the hanging tree, audience member urges Ron DeSantis
- The Republican gubernatorial candidate breezed by the suggestion as he lamented liberals on Florida's Supreme Court.
DeSantis and His Surrogates' Slash and Burn Campaign Are Ramping Up Attacks on Adam Putnam
RealClearPolitics: Trump-Bashing Will Sink GOP Establishment's Adam Putnam
- "What really will be responsible for sinking Putnam's candidacy is the hostility he has demonstrated toward President Trump. This hostility is not just the typical behavior exhibited by run-of-the-mill establishment Republicans, but includes actively seeking to sabotage Trump's candidacy and to undermine his presidency. This is a big reason why GOP Congressman and Trump ally Ron DeSantis will win the Republican primary for governor on Aug. 28."
DeSantis Continues to Hug Trump Closely
Breitbart: DeSantis Responds to Gowdy: 'Deploying Surveillance' on Trump 'Not Normal,' 'Not What Americans Want the FBI to Be Doing'
- Thursday on Fox News Channel's "Fox & Friends," Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) reacted to remarks from Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC), who had said the FBI had done exactly what they were supposed regarding allegations of surveilling members of President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign.
Tampa Bay Times: DeSantis' 'drain the swamp' mailer features a Trump thumbs-up
- In a mailing to Republican voters in Florida, U.S. Rep. Ron DeSantis calls the support of President Donald J. Trump "a badge of honor." As part of a pitch for $3,000 donations to his campaign, the Palm Coast congressman is seen standing next to the president, who's making a thumbs-up gesture as both men's wives look on.